- Spellers must attend a school or be a member of a home school association that is officially enrolled with the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
- Spellers must not have passed beyond the eighth grade on or before February 1, 2018, and must not have reached their 15th birthday by September 1, 2018.
- Once having been disqualified at any level of a sponsor’s spelling bee program between June 2018 and April 2019, they remain disqualified for the 2019 National Spelling Bee and may not seek advancement in the program through another sponsor or through another school.
- Spellers, their parents, educators, relatives or acquaintances must not have obtained a copy of the 2019 School Pronouncer Guide for use in studying.
- Parents/guardians of participants in the Alabama Spelling Bee must agree to allow their child to compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee May 2019, in Washington, D.C. if he/she is declared the state winner. (Adventure Travel pays expenses for the contestant and a parent or guardian.)
See Rules for Local Spelling Bees for complete eligibility details.
Enrollment with Scripps National Bee is required for a school and its students to participate in the Alabama Spelling Bee.
After a school registers with Scripps, the activities with the Alabama Spelling Bee will proceed as usual.
A calendar, winner forms, county coordinator list, and other important details are located on this website. Since all the information is now online, coordinators will not receive an Alabama Spelling Bee handbook in the mail.
The Bee’s official student study guide, 2019 Spell It!, now appears free on www.myspellit.com with these features:
- interactive format with links to Merriam-Webster definitions and pronunciations
- challenge words for advanced spellers
- activities to promote a deeper understanding of the English language
- printable study lists
Public, Private, and Parochial Schools
To participate in the 2018/2019 spelling bee program, a school – or a benefactor on behalf of your school – must enroll through www.spellingbee.com by October 15, 2018 and pay Scripps the enrollment fee of $160. After enrolling with Scripps you will be given the option to pay by credit card or check. Late enrollment beginning October 16 through December 16 will have to pay a $235 enrollment fee. Please follow the instructions from Scripps on how to submit your form of payment. The school spelling bee coordinator will then receive log-in information and password for an online copy of the 2019 School Pronouncer Guide, plus three grade-specific levels of the new Classroom Pronouncer Guide. County Coordinators will receive a new County Pronouncer Guide from the Alabama Spelling Bee office at no charge. (The student study booklets are now offered free to all at www.myspellit.com.)
To participate in the 2018/2019 Alabama spelling bee program, home school students must enroll with Scripps. Larger Home School associations (with more than 10 families) may register all their home school students as an association by paying a$180 fee. After enrolling with Scripps you will be given the option to pay by credit card or check. Please follow the instructions from Scripps on how to submit your form of payment. Home school students and/or home school associations should enroll through www.spellingbee.com by December 15, 2018.
If a home school family is part of an association or support group, that association or support group must enroll in the bee and pay the $180 fee.
Documents and Forms
Alabama Spelling Bee Calendar
Through December 15
School and Home-School Association registration with Scripps National Spelling Bee www.spellingbee.com
Deadline for School Spelling Bees to be held
School Winner Forms due to County Coordinators
Deadline for District Spelling Bees (in larger counties) to be held
Deadline for Home-School District Bees to be held
District Winner Forms due to County Coordinators
Deadline for County Bees (including home-school final bee) to be held
County Winner Forms including Home-School Winner County form due to state office
Alabama Spelling Bee
Date: Saturday, March 9, 2019
Location: Westwood Baptist Church, 1155 Alabaster Boulevard, Alabaster, Alabama 35007
Check in: 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m
Lunch: 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Bee Starts: 12:00 noon
The Bee’s official study guide Spell It! is now FREE ONLINE!
The official study guide, 2019 Spell It!, now appears free through www.myspellit.com with these features:
- Interactive format with links to Merriam-Webster definitions, pronunciations
- Challenge words for advanced spellers
- Activities to promote a deeper understanding of the English language
- Printable study lists
Although the study book is available FREE ONLINE to all students, parents and teachers, a speller’s school must be enrolled with the Scripps National Spelling bee office in order for a student to participate in the school and county competitions.
School coordinators will have password access to three grade-specific levels of the 2019 Classroom Pronouncer Guide and the 2019 School Pronouncer Guide at no charge.